We posted the following question on The Sachse News social media page:
Garland ISD is evaluating its rental policy for the Culwell Center, the site of last Sunday’s shooting that resulted in the deaths of Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi of Phoenix.
Do you think the district should put restrictions on potential rentals based on the type of event that would be held?Here’s what was said:
- • Sherri Miller Yes I do!
• Twyla Miller Petty Gisd should make the CCC available to GISD schools at affordable prices. Then they wouldn’t need to rent out to religious/freedom groups. I voted for the school bond to benefit GISD and not whoever can pay the most money.
ª Courtney Frazier Phillips AMEN! ABSOLUTELY! Great news!
• Tracey Loyd They need to keep it to school related functions only (whether it’s GISD, RISD, PISD, etc). And for those functions outside of GISD, they’re to be charged rental fees. As a Garland homeowner whose property taxes helped flip the bill for this building AND who lives only a mile away from it, it just angers the Hell out of me that this even occurred to begin with…..all because someone within GISD made a very poor decision and put potentially HUNDREDS of people at risk over a few bucks. Pitiful.
• Sandy Hesse Belcher Definitely should put restrictions on who can rent it.
• Diana Smith Yes, def restricted to those events deemed dangerous (like the last one), but make $$ too.
• Lynn Piland Yes to restrictions
• Tonja Pressley Kohler YES!!!!!
• Bob Wright Absolutely! They put all of us in danger and all of it could have been avoided.
• Renee Baxendale Medlin YES!
• Danea Mitchell Wallace Yes to restrictions. We teach our children not to bully or make fun of people in our GISD schools. We as adults should practice what we preach!!!!
• Courtney Frazier Phillips Danea well said!
• Linda LaNasa Weir Absolutely. Let common sense prevail.
• Mary Holmes most definitely!